Who Is Meghan Markle?
Born on August 4, 1981 in Los Angeles, California, Meghan Markle went on to pursue a career as a screen actress, appearing in a number of TV series before landing the recurring role of Rachel Zane on the USA Network show Suits.
Markle was the subject of international headlines in 2016 upon the revelation of her romance with Prince Harry of Great Britain, and the two announced their engagement late the following year. Markle also ran the lifestyle blog The Tig from 2014 to 2017.
Background and Early Career
Meghan Markle was born on August 4, 1981, in Los Angeles, California, the daughter of Doria, a clinical therapist and yoga instructor, and Tom, a television lighting and photography director.
When she was 11, Markle wrote a letter to various notables, including then First Lady Hillary Clinton, about a TV advertisement featuring the idea of women being bogged down by greasy cookware.
The youngster deemed the ad sexist when male classmates started yelling, upon seeing the commercial, that the kitchen is where women belonged. (The language of the ad was subsequently changed.) Markle went on to study theater and international relations at Northwestern University School of Communication, graduating in 2003.
So who is Meghan Markle? Here are some facts that give you a better sense of who she is and why she’s captured the heart of a prince.
- Her gorgeous looks: Markle was born and raised in Los Angeles, California to a Caucasian father and African-American mother. She has navigated her biracial identity on her own terms and thinks it’s pretty lame when people try to categorize her by asking the question: “What are you?”
- Her smarts: In 2003 she graduated from Northwestern University with a double major in theatre and international relations.
- How she got started in acting: In between acting gigs, Markle would take odd jobs (ones she’d rather forget) like being the “briefcase girl” on the game showDeal or No Deal. She also took on projects as a freelance calligrapher. However, soon she began getting small roles in TV shows like General Hospital, 90210, CSI: NY and in films like Get Him to the Greek and Horrible Bosses before she landed the role she’s most known for: paralegal Rachel Zane on USA Network’s legal drama Suits.
- Her romantic past: Markle was previously married to TV producer Trevor Engelson in a ceremony in Jamaica in 2011. The couple divorced two years later.
- Where she’s living right now: Markle currently resides in Toronto with her two dogs Guy and Bogart.
- Her philanthropy: Markle has recently become an advocate for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women. And as a Global Ambassador for World Vision Canada, she has traveled to India and Rwanda to promote clean water initiatives and women’s education.
- Where Harry met Meghan: Prince Harry reportedly first laid eyes on the actress when he was in Toronto promoting a Paralympic sporting event in May 2016. A mutual friend introduced the two, and just two months later in July, Markle was spending time in London . . . the rest is history.
- Royal engagement rumors have been mounting for awhile: The bloggerati has been speculating about the royal nuptials for awhile now after Markle shut down her lifestyle site TheTig.com and reportedly asked to have her character be written off Suits.
CREDIT: biography.com/people ,