Meet South African actress Samkelo Ndlovu, who is best known for her role as Sonia on the SABC1 soccer drama series Zone 14, since 2010.
Samkelo Ndlovu is also known for her role as Nkosazana in the eleventh season of the SABC1 AIDS drama television series Soul City, in 2011.
She also starred as wild child Lira Khumalo in the Mzansi Magic telenovela Inkaba, from 2012-2013.
Born and bred in Alexandra Township, Samkelo attended primary school at Fairways Primary and completed her high school education at Sandringham High School in 2007.
She attended AFDA – the South African School of Motion Picture Medium and Live Performance – and a month out of college landed her first major role as Lerato in the soccer comedy feature film Taka Taka, starring comedians Trevor Noah and Kagiso Lediga.
In my culture, it is inappropriate to give news of a pregnancy too early, also for one to ask “how far along are you?” With that said, now that it is appropriate to say: I am thrilled to tell you how blessed we are to have been chosen to bring this miracle into the world. A true personification of gods love❤ . . They say children choose their parents from heaven; thank you for choosing me. We prayed for you with all our faith. We cannot wait to meet you little princess. I am already obsessed with you little Samúrai. . . . Thank you for all your privacy, love and well wishes along with your positivity during this magical and special time😍 . . . #Motherhood #AboutToPop #BlessedAndHighlyFavored #TrueLove #PrayerWorks . . . 📸 by @kevinmarkpass . . 💄&🎨 by @stormpassmakeup
Roles in the SABC1 dramas Zone 14, Intersexions and Sokhulu & Partners followed, as well as a supporting role in the SABC1 soapie Generations.
In 2011 she landed the role of Esther in the Thapelo Moekoena-produced feature Skyf – The Movie.
In July 2013 she made her debut on Rhythm City in the role of Lerato, Fats’ vain and flirtatious cousin.
She also had a starring role in an episode of the e.tv anthology series Mzansi Love: Kasi Style (“Lawless”, Season 2, Episode 6) as a young attorney at a top law firm who is part of a team that is working on a high profile divorce case.
Samkelo is multilingual, speaking Xhosa, Zulu, English, Sotho and Tswana.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about Samkelo Ndlovu……
1. She studied directing and Writing at AFDA then dropped out in her second year.
2. She landed 5 roles within year first year.
3. She has 3 sisters.
4. She plans on releasing an album.
5. She collects shoes and perfumes.
6. She is more concerned about perfecting her craft than getting endorsements than getting twitter followers and endorsements.
7. She describes herself as a working storyteller because she has more than one medium.
8. Her dream role is an action movie role where she’s walking towards camera in leather and a gun while something is blowing up behind her, in slow motion.
9. Her dream co-stars are Taraji P. Henson, Shia LaBeouf , and Idris Alba.
10. She was teased as a child and called “Lekgowa” for speaking English at a young age.
Generations – Season 1
iNkaba – Season 1
Intersexions – Season 1
Lip Sync Battle Africa – Season 1
Competitor – Herself (as Samkelo)
Mzansi Love – Season 2 (Kasi Style)
Rhythm City – Season 1
Sokhulu & Partners – Season 2
Soul City – Season 11
Zaziwa – Season 5
Zone 14 – Season 3
Zone 14 – Season 4